Trash and Recycling
SOLID WASTE COLLECTION AND LANDFILL OPERATIONS
Commercial Dumping : PROHIBITED
Residential Dumping at the Landfill:
3524 Main Road
Tuesday and Thursday 7:15 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday 7:15 AM - 3:00 PM
Please note: Yard Waste Pick-Up has been discontinued effective 8/31/2016
FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULB RECYCLING
IMPORTANT NOTICE ON NON-RECYCLABLE ITEMS Please see this FLYER
LANDFILL CLOSURE REPORT - DRAFT
TRASH & RECYCLING
- Informational FLYER for the Pay As You Throw trash bag program PLUS the 2016 Solid Waste and Recycling Schedule.
- Patriot Disposal is contracted to perform curbside pickup of recyclables from residences on a weekly basis. These recyclables are transported to the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation center in Johnston for processing. RIRRC does not charge the Town for drop-off of these materials.
- Tiverton residents are required to use maroon Pay As You Throw (PAYT) trash bags which are available for purchase at select stores around Tiverton. Please see this brochure for locations and a calendar of all yearly yard waste pick-ups. (Yard waste pick-up as been discontinued)
- FREE PAYT Trash Bag Program: Must qualify and submit this application to the Tax Assessor between May 2nd - May 31st (2016). Approved applicants can pick up their free annual supply of PAYT trash bags at the DPW office between June 20th - July 1st (2016).
- Recyclables are collected on the same day that the trash is collected from residences. TIVERTON FIVE DAY RUBBISH COLLECTION ROUTES may be accessed through this link. This document provides the collection schedule for the Town.
- Recyclables must be placed at curbside by 6 AM on the day for collection. Please separate the recyclables from the trash by a few feet.
- Residents may obtain blue and green recycling bins at the DPW on Monday - Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM. A fee of $5.00 per bin applies. How to properly recycle.
- Christmas tree pickup is performed by the DPW during the second and third week of January pending the absence of inclement weather. 2017 Schedule
- Residents are reminded that separation of recyclables from the trash is mandatory whether they are disposed at curbside or at the landfill.
- Patriot Disposal is contracted to perform curbside pickup of residential solid waste on a weekly basis. This refuse is brought to the Tiverton Landfill for disposal.
- Trash must be placed at curbside by 6 AM on the day for collection.
- Trash bags or containers shall not exceed 30 gallons or 40 pounds.
- One PAYT bag of construction waste may be put out each week.
- Mattresses can be dropped off at the landfil for free, unless they are wet, torn or heavily soiled, then a $15 fee will apply.
- Monthly collection of white goods and metal items is usually conducted by the Department of Public Works on the third Saturday of the month. These collections are by appointment only and fees apply. Residents may call the DPW for an appointment. Items that will be picked up include refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers, dryers, lawn mowers (drained of fluids), gas grills, bed frames, etc. No fuel tanks, propane tanks, automotive parts, campers, boats, or other large items are accepted whether disposed through the monthly collection or at the landfill. There is a limit of 3 items per household per month.
- Residents are allowed to dispose of yard waste at the landfill as follows:
- Brush (less than 3" diameter) may be put out for collection if it is cut in lengths less than 3 feet, tied in bundles less than 12 inches in diameter, and weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Residents are encouraged to chip brush and bring it to the Tiverton Landfill for disposal into the brush pile. Also, residents are encouraged to compost vegetative matter.
- Tire disposal $5.00 per tire payable at the Tiverton Landfill. No curbside pick up of tires.
- Household hazardous waste is collected at Eco-Depot days that are conducted periodically across the state by Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation. Please call RIRRC at 401-942-1430 Ex. 241 or visit their website at www.rirrc.org for more information. Local Eco-Depot days for 2017 is posted HERE. .
- Waste oil (free of gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid, and other contaminants) may be disposed at the DPW Monday - Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM.
- Latex paint may be disposed in the regular trash with the cover off the can if the paint is completely solid. No liquid waste is permitted in the trash. Paint may be hardened by air drying, mixing with kitty litter, or mixing with paint hardener.
- Trash pickup is delayed by one day during the weeks that contain the following holidays:
- New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Victory Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. 2017 Schedule.
- Trash pickup may be delayed by one or more days due to severe inclement weather.
- Tiverton Landfill is open to Tiverton residents Tuesday and Thursday between 7:15 AM and 2:30 PM and Saturday between 7:15 AM and 3:00 PM. Tiverton Landfill is closed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Also note, that the Landfill will be closed during extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes and snow storms.
- Solid waste that is brought to the landfill must be separated and disposed into the appropriate designated areas for metals, brush / yard waste, recyclables, and trash. See the landfill attendant for directions.
- Only trash that is generated within the Town of Tiverton is permitted for disposal at the landfill. Only one bag or barrel of construction waste may be disposed at the landfill each week.
- Commercial and industrial solid waste is prohibited from the Town curbside collection program and from disposal at the landfill.
LINK TO RHODE ISLAND RESOURCE RECOVERY CORPORATION (RIRRC) www.rirrc.org