Trash and Recycling
SOLID WASTE COLLECTION AND LANDFILL OPERATIONS
Commercial Dumping : PROHIBITED
Residential Dumping at the Landfill:
3524 Main Road
Tuesday and Thursday 7:15 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday 7:15 AM - 2:30 PM
NOTICE ON SHREDDED PAPER - 5/25/2017
FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULB RECYCLING
IMPORTANT NOTICE ON NON-RECYCLABLE ITEMS Please see this FLYER
LANDFILL CLOSURE REPORT - DRAFT
LANDFILL REPORT - 2018 1ST QUARTER
LANDFILL REPORT - 2018 2ND QUARTER
LANDFILL REPORT - 2018 3RD QUARTER
LANDFILL FEES - EFFECTIVE JULY 25, 2017
TRASH & RECYCLING
- Informational FLYER for the Pay As You Throw trash bag program PLUS the 2019 Solid Waste and Recycling Schedule.
- MEGA Disposal is contracted to perform curbside pickup of recyclables from residences on a weekly basis. These recyclables are transported to the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation center in Johnston for processing. RIRRC does not charge the Town for drop-off of these materials.
- Tiverton residents are required to use maroon Pay As You Throw (PAYT) trash bags which are available for purchase at select stores around Tiverton. "NO BIN, NO BARREL' is still a requirement. Recycling containers should be left out until trash has been picked up (otherwise, your trash will not be collected). Please see this brochure for locations and a calendar of all yearly yard waste pick-ups. ALL yard waste must be in brown biodegradable yard waste bags. Limit of (6) bags per Friday pick up (See dates above). 4 or less paper bags of YARD WASTE MAY ALSO BE BROUGHT TO THE LANDFILL AT NO CHARGE.
- FREE PAYT Trash Bag Program: Must qualify and submit this application to the Tax Assessor between May 1st - May 31st (2019). Approved applicants can pick up their free annual supply of PAYT trash bags at the DPW office between June 17th and June 28th.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day that the trash is collected from residences. TIVERTON FIVE DAY RUBBISH COLLECTION ROUTES may be accessed through this link. This document provides the collection schedule for the Town.
- Recyclables must be placed at curbside by 6 AM on the day for collection. Please separate the recyclables from the trash by a few feet.
- Cardboard: Boxes and other corrugated cardboard must be flattened, bundled and tied and not measure more than 2.5' x 2.5' in order to be collected. Place cardboard in your recycling bin or bundled and tied placed next to your bin. Please do not use cardboard boxes as trash or recycling receptacles. Excess cardboard may be brought to the Landfill for disposal, the same size applies.
- Residents may obtain blue recycling bins at the DPW Monday - Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM. A fee of $5.00 per bin applies. How to properly recycle.
- Christmas tree pickup is performed by the DPW during the second and third week of January pending the absence of inclement weather.
- Residents are reminded that separation of recyclables from the trash is mandatory whether they are disposed at curbside or at the landfill.
- MEGA Disposal is contracted to perform curbside pickup of residential solid waste on a weekly basis. This refuse is brought to the Tiverton Landfill for disposal. Should you have any complaints or issues with your trash collection, you may contact the DPW or MEGA Disposal at 508-336-8466 or 866-420-6342.
- Trash must be placed at curbside by 6 AM on the day for collection.
- Trash bags or containers shall not exceed 30 gallons or 40 pounds.
- Mattresses can be dropped off at the landfil for free, unless they are wet, torn or heavily soiled, then a $20 fee will apply.
- Monthly collection of white goods and metal items is usually conducted by the Department of Public Works during the third week of the month. These collections are by appointment only and fees apply. Residents may call the DPW for an appointment. Items that will be picked up include refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers, dryers, lawn mowers (drained of fluids), gas grills, bed frames, etc. No fuel tanks, propane tanks, automotive parts, campers, boats, or other large items are accepted whether disposed through the monthly collection or at the landfill. There is a limit of 3 items per household per month.
- Residents are allowed to dispose of yard waste at the landfill as follows:
- 4 or less biodegradable bags - No Charge.
- $10 per pickup truck - 1 ton or less.
- $25 per pickup truck - greater than 1 ton.
- Tire disposal $5.00 per tire payable at the Tiverton Landfill. No curbside pick up of tires.
- Household hazardous waste is collected at Eco-Depot days that are conducted periodically across the state by Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation. Please call RIRRC at 401-942-1430 Ex. 241 or visit their website at www.rirrc.org for more information. Local Eco-Depot for 2019 (however, these dates are subject to change) are;
March 23, 2019 East Greenwich - DPW, 2 Bear Swamp Rd.
March 30, 2019 North Smithfield - Hwy. Garage, 281 Quaker Hwy.
April 13, 2019 Scituate - DPW, 1 Lincoln Circle
April 27, 2019 Tiverton - DPW, 50 Industrial Way
May 11, 2019 Burrillville - 350 Whipple Ave.
May 18, 2019 Jamestown - 76 Melrose Ave.
- E-Waste can be dropped off at the landfill. Please see this NOTICE. Also, you may also dispose E-Waste
at a State E-Waste Facility, the nearest would be the Little Compton Transfer Station which is located at 122 Amy Hart Path (Off Colebrook Road). Hours of operation Monday, 10:00 to 6:00, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00 to 4:00. DO NOT BRING ANYTHING ELSE TO LITTLE COMPTON BESIDES E-WASTE!
- Waste oil (free of gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid, and other contaminants) may be disposed at the DPW Monday - Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM.
- Latex paint may be disposed in the regular trash with the cover off the can if the paint is completely solid. No liquid waste is permitted in the trash. Paint may be hardened by air drying, mixing with kitty litter, or mixing with paint hardener.
- Trash pickup is delayed by one day during the weeks that contain the following holidays:
- New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Victory Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. 2019 Schedule.
- Trash pickup may be delayed by one or more days due to severe inclement weather.
- Tiverton Landfill is open to Tiverton residents Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday between 7:15 AM and 2:30 PM. Tiverton Landfill is closed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Also note, that the Landfill will be closed during extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes and snow storms.
- Solid waste that is brought to the landfill must be separated and disposed into the appropriate designated areas for metals, brush / yard waste, recyclables, and trash. See the landfill attendant for directions.
- Only trash that is generated within the Town of Tiverton is permitted for disposal at the landfill..
- Commercial and industrial solid waste is prohibited from the Town curbside collection program and from disposal at the landfill.
LINK TO RHODE ISLAND RESOURCE RECOVERY CORPORATION (RIRRC) www.rirrc.org