William M. Anderson, Director ; E-Mail Department
Marcia Robitaille, Administrative Assistant ; E-Mail Marcia Robitaille
Kim Litchfield, Foreman
Office: 401-625-6760 Fax: 401-625-6783
Location: 50 Industrial Way, Tiverton, RI 02878
PLEASE NOTE: Office hours are 8:30AM to 12:30PM until further notice.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00 to 3:30
Closed between 12:00-12:30 for lunch
DUE TO THE PAST 2 STORMS...
THERE WILL BE A TREE AND YARD WASTE AMNESTY THIS WEEK ONLY, TO ALLOW RESIDENTS TO BRING TREE AND YARD WASTE DISPOSAL TO THE LANDFILL FREE OF CHARGE.
SATURDAY, March 17th
TUESDAY, March 20th
THURSDAY, March 22th
SATURDAY, March 24th
The Department of Public Works provides services to the community in the following areas:
- Snow plowing, sanding, and sweeping
- Street lighting
- Street, Sidewalk, and Bridge maintenance
- Stormwater drainage/Water courses
- Tree trimming
- Roadside grass mowing
- Solid waste collection/disposal and landfill operations
- Street opening permits
- Maintenance, repair, and operation of all public buildings/properties
SNOW PLOWING AND SANDING
- During the winter months, please park all vehicles well off the paved road surface to allow the plows room to push the snow off the road and to limit damage to vehicles from the materials being spread.
- Listen to your local television and radio stations for declared winter emergencies and parking bans when on street parking is prohibited and enforced through towing.
- Marking the edge of your lawn with reflectors or 3-ft wooden stakes is helpful to the plow drivers in identifying the edge of the road and limits plow damage to lawns.
- The DPW is not responsible for damages caused to items placed within the Town owned right-of-way by residents i.e. landscaping, fences, timbers, etc.
- The DPW does not plow private driveways or the ends of driveways.
- Residents may pick up small amounts (5-gal pail) of sand and salt mix (for residential use only) from the DPW Monday - Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM. Please stop at the office first.
- Interested in plowing? Contact the DPW for contract documents.
- Landfill will be closed if plowing operations are in effect.
- Street sweeping usually begins during the month of March or sooner if the winter weather permits.
- Street sweeping begins in the north end of Town and proceeds towards the south until the entire Town accepted street system is completed.
- When you see that the sweeper is in your neighborhood, please do not park on or near the paved road surface.
- If you have a sidewalk abutting your property, please sweep it off into the street before the street is swept.
- If you sweep the street in front of your property before the DPW sweeper arrives, you may bring the material to the DPW or the Landfill for disposal.
- Please call the DPW if you see a pothole that needs attention and it will be addressed as soon as possible.
- Please call Rhode Island Department of Transportation at 401-222-2450 for any maintenance on the following list of State roads: Bridgeport Road, Nannaquaket Road, Bulgarmarsh Road, Old Crandall Road, Crandall Road, Old Stafford Road, East Road, Riverside Drive, Evans Ave., Route 24, Highland Road, Stafford Road, Main Road, Stone Church Road, William S. Canning Blvd., Fish Road, and Souza Road.
- RIDOT's website is HERE.
- Catch basin cleaning is performed annually and begins after the street sweeping is completed.
- It is normal for catch basins to hold water below the pipes throughout the year.
- There are more that 1,300 catch basins located throughout the Town. It is impossible for DPW personnel to check all of these structures during a storm. Please help us in keeping the tops of catch basins clean so that they catch water.
- Remember, Town Ordinance Sec. 70-4 prohibits the discharge of water onto the traveled surface of a town road.
- APPLICATION FOR PERMIT AND CONDITIONS FOR CONNECTION INTO TOWN STORM DRAIN SYSTEM may be accessed through this link. Residents may be allowed to connect clean water discharges into the Town drainage system as generally outlined in the document. Private lines are not allowed in the public right of way. Contact the DPW for details.
- Do not dump any waste oil, paints, animal excrement, septic system liquid, laundry water or other pollutants into the Town drainage system. These pollute the receiving waters of the Town and State.
- Contact the DPW should you smell foul odors coming from a catch basin.
- For additional information regarding stormwater management consult the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management website: RI DEM or the United States Environmental Protection Agency website: www.epa.gov.
- Information regarding MS4 (Stormwater Discharge from Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems)
- Town of Tiverton's 2016's Annual Report
STREET OPENING PERMITS
- In accordance with Town of Tiverton Code of Ordinances Section 70-3(a), "Only drain layers licensed by the Town of Tiverton shall be allow to dig into or otherwise break the surface of any public street or way in the Town. PETITION FOR STREET EXCAVATORS LICENSE may be accessed through this link. This completed document along with the required supporting documents and fee must be submitted to the Town Clerk for processing.
- In accordance with Town of Tiverton Code of Ordinances Section 70-3(a), "Prior to proceeding to such operation, the drain layer shall first obtain from the Town Clerk a permit...STREET OPENING APPLICATION AND PERMIT may be accessed through this link. This completed document along with the required supporting documents and fee must be submitted to the DPW for approval. After DPW approval, the document will be forwarded to the Town Clerk for approval.
- Call the DPW if a tree falls and blocks a public street.
- For safety reasons the DPW cannot cut or trim any tree when there is interference with utility wires. This work must be conducted by the appropriate utility. Please contact either National Grid Electric at 1-800-322-3223 or Verizon at 1-800-446-8946.
- Tree trimming and tree removal is generally coordinated with the Tree Warden.
- The DPW does not trim or remove trees that are located on private property.
- For information on tree plantings through the Neighborhood Tree Project contact Peter Moniz, Tiverton Tree Commission chairperson at 401-625-5328.
ROADSIDE GRASS MOWING
- Roadside mowing is performed between May and October.